1 the act of admitting someone to enter; "the surgery was performed on his second admission to the clinic" [syn: admittance]
2 an acknowledgment of the truth of something
3 the fee charged for admission [syn: entrance fee, admission charge, admission fee, admission price, price of admission, entrance money]
- Rhymes: -ɪʃən
- The act or practice of admitting.
- Power or permission to enter; admittance; entrance; access; power to approach.
- The granting of an argument or position not fully proved; the act of acknowledging something asserted; acknowledgment; concession.
- (Law) Acquiescence or concurrence in a statement made by another, and distinguishable from a confession in that an admission presupposes prior inquiry by another, but a confession may be made without such inquiry.
- A fact, point, or statement admitted; as, admission made out of court are received in evidence
- (Eng. Eccl. Law) Declaration of the bishop that he approves of the presentee as a fit person to serve the cure of the church to which he is presented.
Admission may refer to several things:
In general usage
- The process by which patients enter into inpatient care
admission in French: Admission
Americanization, OK, acceptance, access, acculturation, acknowledging, acknowledgment, acquisition, adit, admissibility, admission fee, admittance, admitting, adoption, affidavit, affiliation, affirmation, allegation, allowance, allowing, anchorage, appointment, appreciation, assertion, asseveration, assimilation, assumption, attest, attestation, averment, avouchment, avowal, baptism, brokerage, carfare, cellarage, charge, charges, charter, citizenship by naturalization, citizenship papers, completeness, comprehension, comprehensiveness, comprisal, compurgation, conceding, concession, confession, consent, cover charge, coverage, culture shock, declaration, demand, deposition, derivation, disclosure, dispensation, divulgement, divulgence, dockage, dues, eligibility, embodiment, embracement, encompassment, enlistment, enrollment, entrance, entrance fee, entree, entry, envisagement, exaction, exactment, exhaustiveness, fare, fee, getting, hire, immission, import, importation, importing, inauguration, inclusion, inclusiveness, income, incoming, incorporation, induction, infiltration, ingoing, ingress, ingression, initiation, input, insertion, insinuation, installation, instatement, institution, instrument in proof, intake, interpenetration, introduction, introgression, intromission, intrusion, investiture, leakage, leave, legal evidence, liberty, license, license fee, membership, nationalization, naturalization, naturalized citizenship, okay, openness, ordination, owning, owning up, papers, participation, patent, penetration, percolation, permission, permission to enter, pilotage, portage, profession, receipt, receival, receiving, reception, recognition, release, revelation, rite of confession, salvage, scot, scot and lot, seepage, shot, shrift, special permission, statement, storage, sworn evidence, sworn statement, sworn testimony, taking, tariff, testimonial, testimonium, testimony, ticket, ticket of admission, tolerance, toleration, toll, towage, unbosoming, vouchsafement, waiver, way, wharfage, whole, witness, word